Due to the Earthquake, the gear is being stored temporarily in a garage in Avonside. The original shed is wrecked, and we are looking for a more permanent solution.
In the meantime, email gear requests to gear officers Linda Sorensen, Ingrid Skerten or Bill Parks at email@example.com. Please include the intended dates of hire with any gear request - oftentimes we do not know what you mean when you tell us it is for "the Hurunui weekend". Do not email to our personal emails (even though we will reply via these) as the gearhire address includes all of us.
We prefer email for contact (you should hear back from us within 24 hours); you may also phone us at 389-6999 between 10am and 9pm if preferred. If you want us to call you back, please leave a land line number as we are on a tight budget and do not wish to spend $$$ calling mobile phones.
Collecting and returning gear will be done on Thursday (NOTE CHANGE OF DAY) evenings at 6:45pm, provided we have been contacted and know there is gear going in or out. Please be on time; we will not wait around for people.
Please ensure you notify whomever you return the gear to of any damage or defect. (eg. loose bolts, leaking float bags). The club does not want to unknowingly hire defective gear to other club members.
3 Dagger RPMs
4 Eskimo Kendos
Liquid Logic Remix 59
Liquid Logic Remix 69
Eskimo Topo Duo (2 person kayak)
River/Creek and Creek Boats:
Dagger Nomad 8.1*
Dagger Mamba 8.0*
Jackson Zen 65*
Jackson Zen 75*
Riot Thunder 65
Waveport Diesel 60*
Bliss-Stick RAD 185
Downriver Race and Slalom:
Perception Wave Hopper
Perception Reflex Slalom Boat
Red Fibreglass Slalom Boat (small)
Challenge Sea Quest
6 Perception Acrobats
Drytops (Small, Medium, Large)
Paddles (Originz Nevis Bluffs and Mohakas 192-200cm)
* The newer boats (Zen, Diesel, Nomad, Mamba and Thunder) are only available for weekly hire unless there are no pending reservations. However, we can make arrangements for longer hire periods in certain circumstances--for example over Christmas holidays. Send us an email.
Whitewater Kayaks (including Topo Duo) -
$20 per week (special deal of $60 for 4 consecutive weeks). The Thunder, Mamba, Nomad, Zen and Diesel are only available for weekly hires--see note* above. The Rad is $10
Slalom Boats are free-they are excellent for learning good skills and we encourage you try them.
Single Sea Kayak (includes paddle and spraydeck) -
$50 per week
Double Sea Kayak (includes 2 paddles and 2 spraydecks) -
$65 per week
Canoe Polo boats -
$2 per use (includes polo helmet with faceguard)
$5 per item per week. (Paddles, PFDs, helmets, decks, drytops)
3 month hire package: complete setup: $380.
Conditions of Hire:
1. All items are for hire to financial members only. Members can hire for their friends under their supervision, but the member is ultimately responsible, and this is not to be abused. Hiring a boat for a friend for a weekend club trip to Murchison is fine. Hiring boats for 5 friends for an extended holiday down south is not. Members hiring gear for themselves will ALWAYS have priority. The gear shed reserves the right to refuse to hire gear.
2. You are responsible if the kayak is lost, stolen or damaged ( i.e. you pay for the equivalent replacement). However, you will not be charged for damage arising from what can be considered reasonable wear and tear. Improperly tied boats flying off roof racks at 100 kph is NOT reasonable wear and tear.
3. You are responsible for paying for any parts that go missing: float bags, foot brace nuts, hip pads etc.
4. No club buoyancy aids are to be used in swimming pools, ever, except for the old, designated "pool" PFDs which you can borrow free of charge.
5. No aquaseal or silicon sealant is to be used anywhere on the boats.
6. Boats are to be returned clean. They are to be disinfected and free of any sand or other river detritus.
7. All hires must be prepaid for the intended hire period. Additional hire fees will be charged for gear not returned when due.
8. Note to tourists coming to New Zealand: If you are planning on being in Christchurch for an extended period of time and would like to become an active member of our club while here (active being defined as particpating in club trips and contributing your fair share to shuttles, activities etc.), you are more than welcome to join the club and hire gear--in fact, please do! We have had some fabulous people join us in the past, and we are always keen to show travellers our lovely and wild New Zealand rivers. However, if your only interest is an inexpensive hire, please do not contact us; we are not a rental shop. There are very good kayaks shops in Christchurch that can accommodate you.
9. All members hiring boats are expected to have fun. If you are not having fun on the river, you are not using the gear properly and will be mocked mercilessly by the shed poltergeist.